• Question: MEng Electronics with Music and PGDip Signal Processing mean? As they were part of your Qualifications?

    Asked by #geekygirl to Dawn, James, Sarah, Sylvain on 17 Nov 2016.
    • Photo: Dawn Gillies

      Dawn Gillies answered on 17 Nov 2016:

      The MEng is an undergraduate Masters degree – it basically means I did an extra year so got a masters instead of a bachelors degree that you normally get for undergraduate study. Undergraduate is what your classed at at university if you’re doing your first degree then after that you become a postgraduate. I studied Electronic engineering and music in my undergraduate degree so I did about 2/3rds engineering and 1/3 music study, which made even more fun!

      The PGDip is a postgraduate diploma which I did to build up my skills in an area that I wasn’t as good at before – signal processing is where you use computer code or a circuit to change signals from one type to another. So if you record someone singing then you can take their analogue singing and change it into a digital signal. Compressing digital images also counts as signal processing. Communications covers broadcasting (like TV or radio), mobile networks, and wireless communication. Mostly it meant that I became much better at coding in MATLAB software!

    • Photo: Sylvain Jamais

      Sylvain Jamais answered on 17 Nov 2016:

      Clearly not a question for all… I have a MSc in mechanical engineering and a PhD in fluid dynamics